FORESTRY / TREE CROPS
Absorber is beneficial in tree planting. It helps to increase the survival rate and healthy growth of trees through continuous availability of water and nutrient in the root zone.
Absorber can be applied from 2g to 40g per tree depending upon the method used. The greater the amount of Absorber applied the higher the water holding capacity.
OPTION 1: PLANTING HOLE
- Dig a hole about the size of a 20 litre mutungi/jerican of water. The rate of application depends on the sand content of the soil. The higher the sand content, the higher the rate of Absorber. Absorber needs to be evenly mixed with the backfill. Some untreated backfill must be set aside as the top 5cm of backfill should not be mixed with Absorber to avoid UV deterioration.
- Put the seedling in an up-right position and replace the backfill progressively into the hole. Make sure the backfill is evenly distributed all around the root zone. Finally cover the top surface with 5 cm of the untreated backfill.
- If planting is done during a dry spell or under irrigation, the planting should be watered liberally for 2 weeks to allow full water absorption of Absorber. Then watering could be reduced by half (50%).
- If planting is done under rain fed conditions, Absorber will retain large quantities of water and then will release it progressively. Nevertheless, it is recommended to water the planting hole liberally for 2 weeks to allow an immediate action of the polymer.
- Be especially careful not to put unmixed dry product at the bottom of the hole as after hydration, the product would destabilize the plant.
- Recommendations: Absorber KM 40g per 20 Litre planting hole
OPTION 2: ROLLING PLUGS
- Spread Absorber on a plastic sheet
- Roll the plugs onto the Absorber and place in the planting hole in an upright position. The plugs must be moist to enable the Absorber to stick
- Cover the hole and top surface with the backfill
- Water the plant as per step 3 & 4 in Method 1
- Recommendations: Absorber KM Grades
OPTION 3: APPLYING HYDRATED PRODUCT
Hydrated gel has an advantage over dry product as it becomes immediately active after planting thus availing the plant with instant moisture if needed. This would be of great importance especially when planting during a dry spell.
- Mix 1 kg of Absorber in 100 litres of water. Amounts of water vary depending on the salinity of the water. In case of high pH, buffering is required.
- Slowly pour in the product while stirring the water to obtain a dressing without clumping of particles.
- Let the mixture stand for 20 minutes, the time needed for Absorber to reach its maximum absorption.
- Recommendations: Absorber KM grade 2 Litres hydrated gel per tree equal to 20g of dry product per tree
Mixed into a substrate, Absorber provides a reduction in water stress. It ensures that cutting and transplants take root better and that seedlings grow faster. Irrigation frequencies are spread out. It is an ideal solution in substrates for containers, hanging plants and houseplants.
Watering frequencies are commonly reduced by 30% to 50%, which likewise reduces labour costs, climatic conditions.
- Evenly mix Absorber into the substrate. The amount must be adapted to each type of substrate based on water requirements and characteristics of the plants and cultivation and weather conditions. As a general rule, the more permeable the substrate, the greater the need for Absorber.
- In permeable substrates made of bark, wood fiber or coconut-residue, the recommended amount is 2-3 kg/m3
Recommendations: Absorber KM – 1-3 kg/m3
Please Note: The efficacy of Absorber in the field is subject to proper use and initial availability of moisture so as to activate the product and subsequent availability of water. The period of effectiveness depends on particle size and agro-climatic conditions.